Geomorphology and Soil Geography
Physical Geography examines the geofactors of landscapes (relief and formation of the earth’s surface, climate, soil, water, vegetation, among others) using the methods of natural sciences, records its geological and historical heritage and describes/models the currently existing interrelationships in the ecosystems.
The major research areas of the Professor of Geomorphology and Soil Geography are environmental research, geomorphology and soil science, landscape evolution, arid zone research and geoarchaeology.
Further information on the Institute’s staff, research projects, the Laboratory for Geomorphology and Geoecology and the Luminescence Laboratory, as well as our excursions can be found through the links on the individual pages.
- Schittek, K., Forbriger, M., Berg, D., Hense, J., Schäbitz, F. Eitel, B. Last millenial environmental dynamics in the western Peruvian Andes inferred from the development of a cushion-plant peat hillock. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 30, 115-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ppees.2017.09.002
- Puy, A. Herzog, M., Escriche, P., Marouche, A., Oubana, Y., Bubenzer O. Detection of sand encroachment patterns in desert oases. The case of Erg Chebbi (Morocco). Science of the Total Environment 642, 241-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.05.343
- Youssef, M., Henselowsky, F., Bubenzer, O.: Palaeohydrology and its impact on groundwater in arid environments: Gebel Duwi and its vicinities, Eastern Desert, Egypt. CATENA, 117, 29-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catena.2018.06.028
- Kindermann, K., Van Peer, P., Henselowsky, F., (2018): At the lakeshore – An Early Nubian Complex site linked with lacustrine sediments (Eastern Desert, Egypt). Quaternary International, 485, 131-139. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.quaint.2017.11.006
- Paris, R., Ramalho, R.S., Madeira, J., Ávila, S., May, S.M., Rixhon, G., Engel, M., Brückner, H., Herzog, M., Schukraft, G., Perez-Torrado, F.J., Rodriguez-Gonzalez, A., Carracedo, J.C., Giachetti, T. Mega-tsunami conglomerates and flank collapses of ocean island volcanoes. Marine Geology 395, 168-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2017.10.004
- Siart, C., Forbriger, M. Bubenzer O. [eds.]. Digital Geoarchaeology. New Techniques for Interdisciplinary Human-Environmental Research, 269 p.–Natural Science in Archaeology. Springer International https://www.springer.com/de/book/9783319253145