Dr. Mohammed Zia
Information on archiving:
Selected pages of this website are being preserved for archiving purposes. Since their contents are not getting updated anymore, the given information may be out of date or inaccurate.
Dr. Mohammed Zia was a Research Associate and Software Developer at the Heidelberg Institute of Geoinformation Technology (HeiGIT), part of the GIScience Research Group at the Institute of Geography in Heidelberg.
- 01/2018 – Present: HeiMAP
- Full-Stack Software Development
- Volunteered Geographic Information and Urban Planning
- Big Geodata Visualization
- Machine Learning and Predictive Modeling in GIS/RS
- 05/2018 – Present: Research Associate and Software Developer at GIScience Research Group, University of Heidelberg, Germany.
- 10/2017 – 01/2018: Telemetry Engineer at Mapbox INC., USA.
- 09/2013 – 11/2017: Geospatial Developer at ITU GIS Research Centre, Istanbul Technical University, Turkey.
- 05/2011 – 08/2011: Junior Research Assistant at HEAD Lab, University of Western Ontario, Canada.
- 12/2017 – Present: United Nations Remote Volunteer, Crowd2Map, Tanzania.
- 05/2017 – Present: Editor, Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial Conference Proceedings Journal.
- 02/2014 – 01/2018: Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Geomatics Engineering Department, Istanbul Technical University, Turkey. Thesis: Extending OpenStreetMap usage for Advanced Routing Services.
- 08/2008 – 06/2013: Integrated Masters in Geological Technology, Department of Earth Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, India. Masters Thesis: SAR Interferometry for Earthquake Induced Ground Deformational Studies.
- Zia, M.; Fürle, J.; Ludwig, C.; Lautenbach, S.; Gumbrich, S.; Zipf, A. SocialMedia2Traffic: Derivation of Traffic Information from Social Media Data. ISPRS Int. J. Geo-Inf. 2022, 11, 482. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijgi11090482
- Zia, M., Cakir, Z., Seker, D. Z., 2018. Turkey OpenStreetMap Dataset - Spatial Analysis of Development and Growth Proxies. Open Geosciences (In-press).
- Zia, M., Ozyildirim, O., Seker, D. Z., Cakir, Z., 2018. Improving OpenStreetMap Derived Road Length On A GlobalScale Using Curve Fitting Approach. Cartographica (Accepted).
- Zia, M., Cakir, Z., Seker, D. Z., 2018. Spatial Transformation of Equality-Generalized Travelling Salesman Problem to Travelling Salesman Problem. International Journal of Geo-Information, 7(3), 115, DOI: 10.3390/ijgi7030115
- Zia, M., 2017. A New Spatial Approach for Efficient Transformation of Equality - Generalized TSP to TS. FOSS4G Conference Proceedings (Scholarworks), 17(5), DOI: 10.7275/R53B5XBG.
- Zia, M., Sharma, K., Saraf, A. K., Das, J., Baral, S., Das, M., 2013. Ground Deformational Studies using ALOS-PALSAR Data between 2007 and 2010 of the Central Kutch Area, Gujarat, India. Natural Hazards, 71(3), 1379-1388, DOI: 10.1007/s11069-013-0947-9.
- Saraf, A. K., Rawat, V., Das, J. D., Zia, M., Sharma, K., 2011. Satellite Detection of Thermal Precursors of Yamnotri, Ravar and Dalbandin Earthquakes. Natural Hazards, 61(2), 861-872, DOI: 10.1007/s11069-011-9922-5.
- Saraf, A. K., Zia, M., Das J. D., Sharma, K., Rawat, V., 2011. False Topographic Perception Phenomena observed with the satellite images of Moon’s surface. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 32(24), 9869-9877, DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2010.550950.
- Zia, M., 2017. A New Spatial Approach for Efficient Transformation of Equality - Generalized TSP to TSP. Oral Presentation at Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial Annual Conference, Boston, USA. Geo4All Best Student Paper Award.
- Zia, M., 2017. An Attempt to Identify and Visualize the "Most-Used-Road-Segment" in a City. Poster Presentation at Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial Annual Conference, Boston, USA.
- Zia, M., 2016. Spatial Evolution of OpenStreetMap Dataset in Turkey. Oral Presentation at GeoAdvances – ISPRS Workshop on Multi-Dimensional and Multi-Scale Spatial Data Modeling, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Zia, M., 2016. 3rd Degree Polynomial Curve Fitting Approach to Improve OSM derived Curved Road Lengths. Oral Presentation at Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial Europe, Brussels, Belgium.
- Zia, M., 2013. High Altitude Stationary Clouds Detection Algorithm as an Earthquake Precursor using MODIS Terra/Aqua Satellite Data. Poster Presentation at European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers Conference and Exhibition, London, UK.
- Zia, M., 2011. Satellite Detection of Thermal Precursors of Yamnotri (India), Ravar (Iran) and Dalbandin (Pakistan) Earthquakes. Poster Presentation at Gordon Research Conference and Seminar on Catchment Sciences, Maine, USA.
- Zia, M., 2011. Qualitative Assessment of Linear and Quadratic Transformations in Georeferencing of Satellite Imagery. Poster Presentation at European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers Conference and Exhibition, Vienna, Austria.
- Zia, M., 2009. False Topographic Perception Phenomena and its presence on Moons Surface. Poster Presentation at European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers Conference and Exhibition, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.