Creating new cross-border metropolitan regions through governance rescaling processes. The case of the Yangtze River Delta
For some years now, intensive metropolisation processes have been observed in China, leading to the development of so-called super mega-city regions. However, the growth of metropolitan areas is also accompanied by questions about new governance requirements for spatial development. What reorientation in governance structures can be observed? What goals are being pursued with restructuring and rescaling? Which governance structures and planning measures are being developed to support the development of mega-city regions into sustainable and innovative spaces?
Changes are considered at different levels of scale. For example, project-specific analyses are made using case studies such as the Zhangjiang High-Tech Park in Shanghai. Developments in the Yangtze River Delta are also compared with developments in other areas undergoing comprehensive reorganisation, such as the Ganjiang National New Area, China, and the (cross-border) Rhine-Neckar metropolitan region in Germany.
Publikationen aus dem Projekt
- Wang, Q., Ren, J., Yan, S., Cao, Z., & Cheng, Y. (2023). Do the High-Tech Industrial Development Zones Foster Urban Innovation? A Case Study of China. Land, 12 (4), 830. https://doi.org/10.3390/land12040830.
- Yan, S., & Growe, A. (2022). Regional Planning, Land-Use Management, and Governance in German Metropolitan Regions—The Case of Rhine–Neckar Metropolitan Region. Land, 11(11), 2088. https://doi.org/10.3390/land11112088
- Yan, S./ Wang, Q./ Growe A. (2022): Cross-jurisdictional Governance Practices and Implications from the Rescaling Perspective: The Case of Metropolregion Rhein-Neckar in German. In: Urban Planning International. doi：10.19830/j.upi.2021.614 (in Chinese).
Presentations from the project
- Yan, S.; Growe, A.: (2023): Governance for a polycentrentric cross-border metropolitan region? Comparing changing regional governance in the Yangtze River Delta, China, and in the Rhein-Neckar Region, Germany. Dortmunder Konferenz 2023. 13.-14.02.2023, Dortmund.
- Growe, A; Yan, S. (2022): Governing cross-border metropolitan regions: Comparing actors and instruments between China’s Yangtze River Delta and Germany’s Rhein-Neckar Region. China-Germany city climate strategy webinar coordinated with National Center for Climate Change Strategy and International Cooperation in China (NCSC), Heinrich-Boell-Stiftung(Germany) Beijing Representative Office, 14.12.2022. Beijing (online).
- Growe, A; Yan, S. (2022): Governing Chinese mega-city regions - Organising spatial development or resigning in the face of size? Vortragsreihe „Ostasien Aktuell“ am Institut für Sinologie der Universität Heidelberg, 23.11.2022. Heidelberg.
- Yan, S./ Growe A. (2022): How Well is Metropolitan Governance Going in Germany? The Case of Metropolregion Rhein-Neckar. Oral presentation at the Paris 2022 UGI Centennial Congress, France, 18-22.07.2022.
- Growe, A. (2021): Wer kann von wem lernen? Chinesische Megacity Regions und deutsche Metropolregionen. Jena Talks in Economic Geography, 14.12.2021. Jena/Online.
- Yan, S./Zou, L./Growe, A. (2022): How do policies influence innovation development in a specific region? Evidence from Zhangjiang High-tech Park in Shanghai, China. Vortrag auf der Konferenz. Knowledge needs Space: Challenges and Perspectives of Future Living Environments, KIT/Online-Vortrag, 28. bis 29. Januar 2022.
- Yan, S./Growe, A./Wang, X. (2021): Cooperation or Competition? An empirical study of state rescaling and governance in Ganjiang National New Area, China. ACSP 2021 Annual Conference. 07.-09. & 21.-23.10.2021, Florida/Online Conference.