Socioeconomic transformations in the Pearl River Delta. Economic and demographic changes in rural and core spaces of the mega-city region.
The project deals with socio-economic changes in the Chinese mega-city region of the Pearl River Delta (PRD). The PRD is one of the three largest mega-city regions in China (the two others being Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei (BTH) and the Yangtze River Delta (YRD)) and is the most polycentric of the three large mega-city regions.
In the project, changes in economic activities and in demographic structures have been analysed since 2000 to understand new emerging spatial patterns and new challenges resulting from these patterns.
The project focuses on two processes:
- economic changes indicating a change from a manufacturing based economy to a service based, knowledge orientated economy and
- demographic changes indicating changing relations between core cities and rural areas in the mega-city region.
Publications from the project
- Feng, P.; Growe, A.; Shen, Y. (2022): The Middle-aged and Knowledge Workers: Demographic and Economic Changes in the Pearl River Delta, China. In: Chinese Geographical Science. Online First: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11769-022-1266-4.
- Feng, P.; Growe, A.; Shen, Y. (2020): Regionalization and functional specialization in Chinese mega-city regions: Changing functional patterns of manufacturing and KIBS activities in the polycentric mega-city region of the Pearl River Delta. In: Erdkunde. Vol. 74(3). doi: https://doi.org/10.3112/erdkunde.2020.03.01.
Presentations from the project
- Growe, A. (2021): Wer kann von wem lernen? Chinesische Megacity Regions und deutsche Metropolregionen. Jena Talks in Economic Geography, 14.12.2021. Jena/Online.
- Feng, P./Growe, A./Shen, Y (2021): From „the workshop of the world“ to spaces of the knowledge economy: Changing functional patterns of manufacturing and knowledge-intensive business services activities in the Pearl River Delta. Vortrag auf dem Annual Meeting of the American Association of Geographers (AAG), virtuelle Konferenz, 07. bis 11. April 2021