Simin Yan majored in urban and rural planning at Tongji University from 2017 to 2020 in China. Her specific research direction is regional and urban and rural spatial development. She joined the dual master's degree program-Tongji University & Technische Universität Berlin-funded by DAAD and CSC in October 2018. In the summer of 2020, she received both a master's degree in urban and rural planning (M.E.) from Tongji and a master's degree in urban design (M.S.) from the TU Berlin. In December 2020, Yan joined the Regional Governance research working group in Heidelberg University and started to work on her doctoral study on the topic of Rescaling and the Making of Integrated City-regions in Post Reform China: The Case of the Yangtze River Delta. She is interested in the frequent reterritorialization and rescaling phenomenon in terms of coordinated regional development in recent China, which refers to not only the top-down adjustment of the central government (eg. the administrative restructuring), but also the bottom-up response from local governments, enterprises, or organizations (eg. local alliances, emergency working group, etc). The first step of her work will focus on describing the policy trajectory, tool choices, and governance modalities of state rescaling in the YRD after reform and opening up, and try to explain the reasons behind key transitions. Multi-data and comparing cases are predicted to use in her further study.
- Yan, S., Chen, C. (2019): Rural Settlement Re-construction driven by White-tea Industry and Its Implications for Planning: The Case Study of Xilong Township, Zhejiang Province. In: Modern Urban Research, (7), 26-33 (in Chinese).
- Yan, S., Chen, C. (2019): Rural Transformation Driven by Private Investment and Its Planning Strategies: A Case of Daxi Village, Zhejiang Province. In: Urbanism and Architecture, 16 (19), 128-135 (in Chinese).
- Yan, S., & Chen, C. (2018): The spatial transformation of traditional rural villages driven by private investment in China’s developed areas: The case of Daxi Village, Anji County. In: Journal of Regional and City Planning, 29 (2), 156-168.
- Yan, S., & Chen, C. (2018): Characteristics and Dilemmas of Urbanization in High Population Output Areas in the New Era: A Case Study based on Pingdingshan City in Henan Province. Annual National Planning Conference. Hang Zhou, China. 2018: 13 (in Chinese).
- Yan, S., Chen, C.& Du, F. (2019): Rural Transformation in China’s Developed Areas Under the Influence of Environmental Policies: Contrastive Study on Yu Village and Daxi Village in Anji County, Zhejiang Province. Presentation at the Association of European Schools of Planning (AESOP) Conference, Venice, Italy.
- Yan, S., Chen, C. (2018) Revitalizing Rural Villages by Emerging Private Sector in an Urbanizing China: A Case of Tianhuangping Town, Zhejiang Province. Presentation at the 4th PLANOCOSMO Conference, Bandung, Indonesia.